NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Evolution (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=53165)

AycorzFewdz 28th October 2003 01:42

Evolution

Who here does not beleive in evolution?.

I was having an interesting conversation with someone from work, when said person started going on about how evolution was bullshit and how its "obvious" God created the universe because no one can explain how everything was created.

So i ask him "If thats the case then how do you explain God?"...his only response was "Uh...God's like the ever-present being".

ARGH i was so ENRAGED i beat him about the head with a paperweight.

I'm keen to hear a real argument from someone who does not beleive in evolution.

Please keep flaming at a minimal.

Lumpy 28th October 2003 01:44

First post!

CCS 28th October 2003 01:44

Madoka 28th October 2003 01:46

Aliens and UFOs did all the jobs.

this thread can be closed.

Uncle Gus 28th October 2003 01:46

HAHAHA!!

Spink 28th October 2003 01:49

Dystopia 28th October 2003 01:51

i once fucked a black chick

Trigger 28th October 2003 02:03

Holy crap! Did you see that freaking chopper explode?

Cyberbob 28th October 2003 02:03

oooer

One question.
There is a random tribe (African i believe) that has pretty much kept to itself over the years. They use the back of their necks to balance heavy loads on. (Water carriers etc) They eventually got a slight buildup of muscle and bone on their upper backs and neck, due to their constant usage. Over generations, this growth has become more predominant, growing larger than the one before, to the point that babies of the tribe are born with it.

Is this, or is this not, evolution in action?

Simon 28th October 2003 02:04

I haven't touched a guitar in about a week.

Uncle Gus 28th October 2003 02:06

Quote:

Originally posted by Cyberbob
oooer

One question.
There is a random tribe (African i believe) that has pretty much kept to itself over the years. They use the back of their necks to balance heavy loads on. (Water carriers etc) They eventually got a slight buildup of muscle and bone on their upper backs and neck, due to their constant usage. Over generations, this growth has become more predominant, growing larger than the one before, to the point that babies of the tribe are born with it.

Is this, or is this not, evolution in action?

No, this is adaptation. Not the same thing.

Cookie 28th October 2003 02:08

/me lays down some tarp.

There's going to be some major shit slinging going on soon. Someone has to think of the carpet...

NO I'M NOT A LESBIAN!

Asa 28th October 2003 02:18

didnt they basically "prove" that evolution is wat actually happend? how it started from south african then migrated to asian etc..

Uncle Gus 28th October 2003 02:19

Quote:

Originally posted by Uncle Gus
No, this is adaptation. Not the same thing.
Shit! I actually said something serious in this thread. Dammit.

Ummm.....

Cyberbob 28th October 2003 02:30

Much better.

Xplod 28th October 2003 02:30

Personal opinions... I repsonaly do not beleive in Evolution although I DO think that earth is older than 10,000 year... duh obviously it is...

I dont think this thread is going to go any where except lots of swearing and bad tantrums aswell as many broken keyboards, mice, cases and smashed windows in the process...

There is no point to this... NO ONE can prove anything for all I care dino's could of been walking around 100 years ago... I cant prove that they werent.... neither can you...

Lightspeed 28th October 2003 02:46

Quote:

Originally posted by Cookie
/me lays down some tarp.
It's a tarp!

AycorzFewdz 28th October 2003 02:49

Uncle Gus, whats the difference between adaption and evolution? (yes i know theres a difference but like...definitions ta :) )

omg Xplod. Looks like Dino's are still walking around ay Xplod u dumbfuckosaurus.

Heard of Fossils?

Someone smart from the non-beleiver side please.

Uncle Gus 28th October 2003 02:52

Quote:

Originally posted by Lightspeed
It's a tarp!

Uncle Gus 28th October 2003 02:56

Quote:

Originally posted by AycorzFewdz
Uncle Gus, whats the difference between adaption and evolution? (yes i know theres a difference but like...definitions ta :) )

omg Xplod. Looks like Dino's are still walking around ay Xplod u dumbfuckosaurus.

Heard of Fossils?

Someone smart from the non-beleiver side please.

I'm no expert, so I'll start to make an attempt at an explanation, but I think you'd be better off asking someone who has a real clue.

Actually, I think you'd be better off googling. Here's a quick link. I think the main difference is that adaptation is the individual creature, or even a group of creatures changing to fit the environment. There is a causal link between the environment and the change in the creature. Evolution is random chance. A mutation occurs in a creature, which happens to be advantageous to the creature, enabling it to survive better (natural selection) and pass on its genes.

Adaptation is causal, evolution is not.

Cookie 28th October 2003 03:01

Quote:

Originally posted by Lightspeed
It's a tarp!
QOTM!!!!

GRiM ReeFer 28th October 2003 03:02

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche

AycorzFewdz 28th October 2003 03:03

So something like opposable thumbs is evolution? or adaption?

Cookie 28th October 2003 03:08

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=evolution
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=adaptation

Uncle Gus 28th October 2003 03:12

GRiM ReeFer 28th October 2003 03:14

#there are no new questions, just new questioners :)

CHRISTIAN APOLOGETICS & RESEARCH MINISTRY
http://www.carm.org/evo_questions/adaption.htm
Question: Are evolution and adaptation different?

Response: "Evolution" is such a broad term, simply meaning "change," that it can be stated quite honestly that adaptation qualifies as a type of evolution. However, when "evolution" is stated to the layperson, the concept is of one sort of organism, like a bacteria, through time, chance, mutations, and natural selection, becoming another sort of organism, like an elephant. If this is the sort of evolution being referred to, then adaptation is in a different category altogether.
Adaptation is the process whereby a series of variations already within a population gets winnowed down to the few that are best suited to any particular environment. This is not a matter of adding anything new to the genetic material of the population, but simply weeding out what is not working as well as some other variations. For instance, a population of bears which wandered north at some point, gradually lost members with less fat, less aggressiveness, and darker fur, eventually leaving us with the white, aggressive, and fat-layered polar bear. There may have been some mutations or combinations which increased the fat or the aggressiveness or the lightness of color, but nothing which changed the essential "bear-ness" of the beast.
This is radically different from the type of evolution which posits that some kind of unicellular organism through millions of mutations became that bear in the first place.

Helen Fryman

Uncle Gus 28th October 2003 03:17

Quote:

So something like opposable thumbs is evolution? or adaption?
Opposable thumbs would be evolution, most likely. An example of adaptation would be like, camels having long eyelashes to prevent getting sand in the eyes, that kind of thing.

A good example of adaptation in every day human life is callouses. Repeated rubbing or bumping makes your body change. Have a look at the two fingers you use to grip your pen with when writing, or compare the fingertips on the two hands of a guitarist.

Uncle Gus 28th October 2003 03:19

Dammit! Now I have to find another silly picture.

Uncle Gus 28th October 2003 03:21

AycorzFewdz 28th October 2003 03:24

DEAR GOD!

Lumpy 28th October 2003 03:25

So... How about that York Groundsel?

Lightspeed 28th October 2003 03:38

Quote:

So i ask him "If thats the case then how do you explain God?"...his only response was "Uh...God's like the ever-present being".
How do you explain cause and effect? Where'd it all start?
Huh? HUH?!

Pizza.

GRiM ReeFer 28th October 2003 03:55

I'll see your York Groundsel and raise you a Spartina anglica!

AycorzFewdz 28th October 2003 04:03

I AM FURIOUS.

Simon 28th October 2003 04:11

Who wants to hear about the rash I had on my scrotum a couple of months ago?

Lightspeed 28th October 2003 05:53

Ooooh, so that's what the pic Uncle G posted was of.

SpaceCowboy 28th October 2003 07:55

i personally take the view of physicists the world over, and ignore anything non-physics related, ie. biology.

i do think the universe is on the order of 15 billion years tho.

plaz0r 28th October 2003 08:15

Quote:

Originally posted by Trigger

Holy crap! Did you see that freaking chopper explode?

The ultimate zing!

[oOalienOo] 28th October 2003 08:23

you better look under the sea~~

CONGRETULATIONS POD 6 YOU'RE SEALAB'S POD OF TH3 MONTH !

armourking 28th October 2003 08:56

Now, if humanity all used the Scientific Method before believing things, then we wouldn't have these sorts of threads.